The job of an author is not done after a book is published and sold. This is where an author has to become creative on their approach towards a successful career. If you don’t have benefits through a publisher, you can go beyond.
- Attend events as part of the public, as a professional, or as an exhibitor
- Network with librarians to find out how to get your books in their libraries.
- Network with school administrators to get book contracts to send books to their schools.
- Seek out to local media to cover your story.
- If you believe in selling your book rights, you can find someone to do that during book industry conferences.
- Get book award recognitions to make your book stand out and so that you can promote yourself as an Award Winning Author.
If there is a lot of interest in your book, go beyond and consider:
- translating the book
- writing a sequel, or
- writing and publishing a second book.
After your books provide more income, then you can consider finding a good publisher or an agent so they can handle your representation and all the work involved in the promotion, so that you can focus on writing!